Prospect - name chosen for the beautiful prospect the locality presented, well-timbered, with waving gums and shady trees.
The Kaurna people lived in small bands across the Adelaide Plains, including the Prospect area, prior to the European settlement.
Establishment of formal government in the Province of South Australia.
First grants of land began in Prospect, Fitzroy and Medindie Gardens.
Prospect Village was one of a number of villages within a few miles of Adelaide. Population mainly involved in agriculture (wheat), dairy farms, lime kilns and timber milling. Lack of water supply and roads were obstacles to early growth. Many deep wells put down. Originally only two main roads - Main North Rd and Lower Main North Rd (later Churchill Rd ). By degrees Prospect Road built, extended, then widened.
Windmill Hotel licensed - served passing traffic to the town of Gawler, and, carts and bullock wagons bringing ore from Burra and Kapunda.
The Irish Harp Inn (now the site of the Reepham Hotel) opened.
Act to appoint District Councils passed.
District Council of Yatala constituted under the Municipal Act.
Ground at North Road consecrated as burial ground. Chapel built in 1905. Among those buried there are Daisy Bates and Sirs Ross & Keith Smith.
Walkerville proclaimed a separate council, Prospect remaining part of the Yatala District Council.
SA Railways opened workshops in Islington providing employment opportunities for Prospect.
Many well-to-do families built fine homes in Prospect, amongst them St Helens, built by James Harrington (shown left). Water now being supplied from Thorndon Park Reservoir - prior to this it was carted from River Torrens.
Wingfield House in Alpha Road built by Alfred Barker; in the grounds was a well, used for watering stage-coach horses before arriving in Adelaide.
Prospect won its petition to become a new Council district.
First Post Office established in John William's Blacksmith Shop & Store on corner of Main North Road & Nottage Terrace.
Nailsworth Public School built - first government school in the district. Building now houses the Prospect Library and the former headmaster's residence next door is the Prospect Gallery Studio.
Prospect , Nailsworth and Enfield Tramway Co. formed - intended to put an end to Prospect's isolation from Adelaide. Initially they used double - decker, horse drawn trams. Original Tram Barn now the Council's Johns Road Depot.
St. Cuthberts Church built in Clifton Street, was the first church built in Prospect.
District Hall (Town Hall) built at cost of 848. Population of Prospect now 5,000.
Late 1880's - early 1900's, as Prospect developed there was a decline in land under cultivation; migration to the Victorian goldfields took many of the menfolk. Trams, railway and eventually buses meant people could work in the city and live in Prospect, now more suburban.
Prospect Oval opened by State Premier, Mr Kingston. First grandstand built 1922.
Electric lights connected and sewerage established.
A.S. Horne Pty Ltd established.
Heavy rains flooded western end of Prospect forcing Council to seek better drainage solutions.
Yatala Labour Prison breakout by four prisoners resulted in car chase by police and shoot out on Main North Road. Prisoners escaped into Nailsworth School grounds where 2 policemen were injured before their recapture.
Prospect became a municipality; celebrated by an inaugural banquet in Town Hall.
Council adopts an official Coat of Arms to represent the progress from open fields to a City of prosperity:
* Wheat depicting early days of agriculture
* Wings symbolic of progress
* Cornucopia for prosperity
R.M.Williams Pty. Ltd established.
Prospect declared a City.
Prospect City Band began as a boys band.
Centenary of the State - population of Prospect 20,000.
British Tube Mills started business on Churchill Road.
Prospect Council divided district into 4 zones
- residential, shopping, minor trade & factory.
Late 1940s - 50s - Post-war migration.
Northern Community Hospital established on Main North Road.
Royal visit with Queen Elizabeth traversing the city 6 times during her SA stay - she was very enthusiastically received by residents.
Tram service replaced by diesel buses.
New Council Offices opened by SA Governor, Sir Edric Bastyan.
Max Lamshed, published Prospect 1872-1972 100 years of Local Government.
Centenary celebrations held in St Helens Park.
ABC Building in Collinswood opened by Prime Minister Mr E G Whitlam.
St Helens House demolished.
Prospect Mural Group formed by local residents.
Prospect Public Library opened in former Nailsworth Primary School building.
First Prospect Fair.
First Community Arts Exhibition.
Recollections published - documenting personal histories of long standing residents.
* South Australia celebrated Jubilee 150.
* Stobie Pole Project commenced.
* Heritage Collection opened.
* Town Hall upgraded.
Prospect Arts Path begun.
Prospect Art Gallery built and opened with 5th Prospect Community Exhibition.
Heritage Survey conducted to identify significant buildings/areas in Prospect.
Councils of Prospect, Walkerville & St. Peters collaborated in the SWAP Library Network.
Built Imagination Project.
* Ern Sconce Rotary Park opened.
*Reading Room at Prospect Library opened.
* Power lines on Prospect Road undergrounded.
* First Twilight concerts.
Northern Community Hospital closed.
* Whittle Reserve skateboard facility opened.
* First Prospect Portrait Prize.
Prospect Road upgraded.
First Upmarket Fair.
New roadworks on Torrens Road between Fitzroy Terrace and Churchill Road completed.
Civic Centre restoration opened by the Mayor of Prospect Kristina Barnett.
Newly refurbished Civic Centre destroyed in arson attack. Staff working out of the Town Hall until the Civic Centre is rebuilt.
Civic Centre rebuilt and staff relocate back into Civic Centre
For more information visit Local History collection based at Prospect Library, 1 Thomas Street, Nailsworth. Telephone 8342 8170.