Council strongly encourages responsible dog ownership
- Dogs to be wearing a collar and registration disc
- Not allowing dogs to wander at large or be a nuisance (barking or otherwise)
- Not allowing dogs to attack, chase or harass people or other animals
- Picking up and properly disposing of dog faeces
New laws for cat and dog owners came into effect on 1 July 2018
- Mandatory microchipping of cats and dogs
- De-sexing of dogs and cats born after the 1 July 2018
- New rules for breeders who sell dogs and cats
- Introduction of a centralised state-wide database, called Dogs and Cats Online (DACO).
The Dog and Cat Management Board is responsible for overseeing the administration and enforcement of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995. Further information regarding dog and cat laws and the Board itself may be found at www.dogandcatboard.com.au or call (08) 8124 4962.
All dogs must be registered by the age of three (3) months and all dogs must be registered by 31 August annually.
Dog owners are responsible for registering their dog(s) and keeping their details up to date online at DACO, dogsandcatsonline.com.au. If you require assistance, please contact Council’s customer service staff either by telephone on 8269 5355 or visit our office at 128 Prospect Road, Prospect.
From 1 September a late payment fee for unregistered dogs will apply (in addition to the applicable dog registration fee). A $170 fine applies for keeping an unregistered dog.
Dog Registration Fees 2019/2020
Standard Dog - $40.00 Non-Concession ($20.00 Concession)
Non-Standard Dog - $80.00 Non-Concession ($40.00 Concession)
Veterinary certificates of desexing and evidence of microchipping will also be required in order to claim the discount.
Concession card holders may be eligible for a 50% discount. Evidence of concession cards must be provided to claim concessions. These details will be verified upon entering them into DACO.
Dog and cat registration renewal notices for 2019/20 have already been sent. This year renewal notices were sent for both dogs and cats however, there is no registration fee for cats.
If you are a pet owner and have selected SMS or email as your preferred method to receive renewal notices, please keep an eye on your phone and emails.
As lifetime discs were issued to pets in July 2018 no new discs will be sent this year.
Please keep your details and your dog’s details up to date online at at www.dogsandcatsonline.com.au particularly if you have a new pet, no longer have a dog or have changed address.
Replacement Registration Discs
Replacement dog registration discs can be purchased for $10.00 from DACO at www.dogsandcatsonline.com.au or you can purchase your own metal disc, tag or badge from a retailer of your choice and have it engraved with your dog’s permanent registration number.
Off leash exercise areas for your dog
All dogs in public places must be held on a leash not more than two metres long.
There are however certain areas within City of Prospect where dogs may be exercised off-leash, including a dedicated fenced dog park at Broadview Oval where dogs can exercise in the safety of an enclosure. There are also other parks and reserves where dogs can be off-leash between certain times so long as they are under ‘effective control’.
Off-leash areas are available between 5-8am and 5-9pm at the following locations:
- Broadview Oval - 26 Collingrove Avenue, Broadview
- Prospect Gardens/ Narnu Wirra Reserve (west side lawn area) - West Terrace, Nailsworth
- Pash Reserve - 31-33 Derlanger Avenue, Collinswood
- Percy Street Reserve - 65 Percy Street, Prospect
- Memorial Gardens - 1 Menzies Crescent, Prospect
- St Helens Park - 39 Prospect Road, Prospect
- Prospect Estate - 286 Prospect Road, Prospect
- Irish Harp Reserve - 350 Regency Road, Prospect
- Cane Oval/Parndo Yerta - 104-120 Churchill Road, Prospect
RSPCA South Australia are currently developing an app to help people locate pet-friendly venues and locations in South Australia. To read more about the app you can head here www.rspcapetstop.com.
Keeping more than two Dogs
Council permission is required to keep more than two dogs on a house property or one dog in a flat, townhouse or unit. Download an application form: Dogs - Keeping More Than Two Application
Complaint Forms (dogs)
If you have any queries around pet ownership within City of Prospect, please phone Council on (08) 8269 5355, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org